Monday, March 8, 2010

Worn out souls

The book of Psalms is a well of strength for the soul. In reading Psalm 69, 70, & 71, you see and hear how David, for a season, was pursued and persecuted by attackers from literally all sides. Time after time he's crying out to God in the midst of being pursued and attacked. He even prays for the attackers to be cursed by God. How relevant this feels to my soul, yet I am not physically being pursued and attacked by anyone. As a matter of fact, being born and raised in the U.S. has completely sheltered me from experiencing anything like this. So why do I feel like I relate? Is the answer found on the inside...in my soul?

Do temptations pursue and persecute me on all sides so that my soul longs for this deliverance and refuge that David so often cries out for? I don't think it's a stretch to say...Yes! I believe a worn out soul needs refreshing and reminding that the LORD of all is in control and mighty to save. When we're beaten down by temptation and our soul is worn thin, we experience more pain and suffering. Just like a worn out sole on a shoe allows bruising and discomfort throughout the whole body, so too a soul worn out by temptation to deny it's Creator. We become worn out from the inside out.

What do we do? What should we do? Follow David's lead and cry out to God! In so doing we strengthen the soul...our soles. You find that God is waiting to hear our cry and deliver according to the multitude of His tender mercies. His righteousness and His salvation is our hope and saving grace to which we will never know their limits.

"Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You;
And let those who love Your salvation say continually,
'Let God be magnified!'" - Psalm 70:4

"In You, O LORD, I put my trust...Deliver me in Your righteousness...Incline Your ear to me, and save me. Be my rock of refuge, to which I may resort continually. You have given the commandment to save me, for You are my rock and my fortress." - Psalm 71:1-3

No comments: